GoLED is Stanpro’s most exciting new initiative in our environmentally conscious push to encourage the market to embrace the benefits of retrofitting rather than replacing lighting units.
We have decided to approach this subject as one would a set of traffic lights. Stop to consider the situation, get ready to go with retrofit, and then enjoy the many benefits along the journey, and well into the future.
OK, buckle up and let’s get going…
GoLED – The Challenge
The term retrofit lighting, retrofit kits, and the related are highly important to anyone who is trying to upgrade their lighting system at their facility. In short, it is the process of upgrading your existing lighting fixtures with a new light source (typically of higher quality and efficiency) while maintaining the integrity of the fixture itself.
Qualifying whether you should retrofit your lighting system or not really all depends on your facilities situation. If your entire fixture is in bad condition then a new unit is probably the only option. However, when a fixture exterior housing hasn’t been compromised further consideration should be given to this solution, and a cost analysis might sway your opinion to a more environmental solution… a retrofit.
Undeniably the best technology for any business is a LED retrofit for many reasons:
- Decrease in lighting energy usage by up to 75% – bottom line savings
- Increase in quality of light – no more buzzing or flickering and improves light uniformity
- Environmental benefits – less wastage, less landfill, less energy/packaging than buying new
- Longer lifespan by 2-3 times – savings in time, money and maintenance
- They perform and last the same as new fixtures – what’s not to like!
LED Retrofitting is one of the biggest lighting upgrades buildings are doing these days. Companies want to get rid of technology like metal halide, HPS, and fluorescent in their facility for all of the benefits LED products bring. The benefits of LED over these other technologies are undeniably better in virtually every single aspect of quality lighting.
Retrofitting an existing fixture can easily save 70% to 80% installation time when compared to installing a new LED fixture depending on type of mounting and application environment, and should normally only take 5 minutes to install! Customers must not only consider installation time of a new fixture but also removal time required of an existing fixture. Meaning it will easily take 45 to 60 minutes per fixture if not more to remove, and then re-install the new fixture.
Installing a retrofit kit is fairly simple. The process involves removing the existing gear tray that includes lamps, ballast, and sockets and replacing them. All retrofit kits come with a comprehensive set of installation instructions. Minimal wiring alterations are required, but we do recommend bringing in a licensed electrician if you are not familiar with the safety requirements of electrical wiring.
STEP 1 – remove lens
STEP 2 – remove the fluorescent tubes
STEP 3 – remove fluorescent gear tray and existing wiring connections
STEP 4 – make wiring connections and install LED gear tray
STEP 5 – re-install the lens
- The RKTVT vapour tight LED retrofit kit delivers approximately 5000 lumens, while achieving over 120lm/W. (Condition of lenses on existing fluorescent luminaires may have varying impacts on delivered lumen levels.)
- This series is available in neutral 4000K temperatures with 0-10V dimming wires inside the fixture ready to be connected.
- White post painted UV stabilized steel flat gear tray
- 80+ CRI
- Compatible with STANPRO, AIMLITE, STANDARD, RAB, LITELINE, BEGHELLI, THOMAS and BETTS, EMERGI-LITE, LUMACELL, READYLITE fluorescent vapour tights. Refer to compatibility charts found on the catalogue pages for more details to choose option 1 or option 2.
- The RKTVT comes with frosted lenses over LED strips creating diffused uniform lighting, mimicking the look of fluorescent tubes and avoiding glare from LED.
- Easy installation in around 5 minutes
- Ambient temperature: -20°C to +35°C
- Colour consistency (SDCM) is 3-step MacAdam ellipse
- Meets requirements of ICES-005 issue 4 for class A products
We believe the argument for retrofitting are very compelling, and have created this simple acronym to remember the benefits… LED!
L – Lifespan and
E – Energy savings
D – Delivering less waste and more cost savings
You are essentially resetting the life of your luminaire with new components and warranty on your retrofit kit. This is a superior choice to LED tubes as this method of retrofitting does not reset the life of your ballast nor sockets (potentially adding additional component and labor costs).
Consider this example:
40W LED Watts replacing 2 lamp T8 FLUO 32Watts, 12 hours/day, 365 days/year
Cost / kw/h Savings per year/fixture
Deliver less waste and more cost savings
Can you imagine the environmental impact of disposing of all perfectly functional fixtures in landfill sites? Along with reducing your environmental footprint, a retrofit is substantially more cost effective than a complete new fixture, including a reduced manufacturing process, less packaging costs and avoiding potential additional disposal fees and the energy wasted therein.
We hope we have convinced you that retrofitting is a journey worth taking for a multitude of reasons. We at Stanpro are highly committed to our GoLED program, and we look forward to talking with you at the earliest possible opportunity.
Click here to learn more: https://stanprols.com/product/rktvt-goled-retrofit-kit/